The kindergarten application is now open! If you live in New York City and have a child born in 2018, you can apply to kindergarten by January 20, 2023!  Call 718-935-2009 or visit

Food Resources

Students attending school in person will be offered free breakfast and lunch daily in school. Please contact your school for more information on meal times and locations.


The New York City Department of Education offers free breakfast, lunch and afterschool meals to all NYC public school students during the school year.

School Menu

We create our menus and water services to make sure that students get the nutrients they need to think clearly and concentrate on learning. Seeing students succeed in school is what drives our passion to serve high-quality meals every day.

In addition to the daily center of the plate meal option, students have access to multiple daily options as well. These include, but are not limited to, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, cheese sandwich, tuna or turkey sandwich, a hummus grab and go, and a chickpea wrap.

Food Pantry Locations and Times

Food Pantry Locations and Times Details:

Mental Health Services

The Office of Mental Health provides FREE crisis counseling. The site also provides tips to support with managing anxiety, and other mental health concerns. Call 844-863-9314 to receive FREE and confidential emotional support.

Details On How To Contact

The Office of Mental Health provides FREE crisis counseling. The site also provides tips to support with managing anxiety, and other mental health concerns. Call 844-863-9314 to receive FREE and confidential emotional support.

Special Education

All students with disabilities who require special education services have Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The IEP contains information about your child’s interests, strengths, needs, goals, and educational program. It is a legal document that describes how the DOE will provide your child:

  • A Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
  • In the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)


The referral must be in writing and may be made by you or a DOE school official. The referral should:
  • Describe the concerns about your child’s development, learning, and/or behavior.
  • State that you are requesting a special education evaluation.
  • List any services your child has received or is currently receiving.
  • Include your child’s full legal name and date of birth.
  • Include your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached.
  • State your preferred language, if it is not English.


Initial Evaluation

The DOE will evaluate your child in all areas related to the suspected disability. The evaluation includes all of the following:

Social History

An interview with you to get information about your child’s development and family history.


A test that looks at what your child knows and how he or she learns.


A study of your child in his or her classroom.

Physical Examination

A recent report of your child’s vision, hearing, and general health from your doctor. If you have trouble getting this, ask the IEP team, CSE or CPSE to help you get an examination at no cost.

Other Assessments, When Needed

  • Speech and Language
  • Sign Language Fluency
  • Occupational and/or Physical Therapy
  • Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA)
  • Assistive Technology (AT)
  • School records
  • Teacher assessments
  • Interviews to determine work skills and interests, if your child is 12 or older

Individualized Education Plan [IEP]

The Individualized Education Program (IEP) is a written statement of our plan to provide your child with a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) in their Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).

Please speak with your IEP team if you would like an interpreter at your child’s IEP meeting, or if you would like a translation of your child’s IEP, assessments, or notices.

Pre-School Services

Preschool special education services can support children ages three to five with disabilities or delays in development. These services are provided free of charge to families. Preschool services can help support a child’s learning, speech and language, physical development, social-emotional skills, and other areas.

The DOE Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) manages the process for preschool children. There are 10 CPSE offices in different areas of the city. Families work with the CSPE in the district where they live:

Preschool services can start the year a child turns 3 years old. How the process begins will depend on whether

  • The child received Early Intervention (EI) services;
  • The child is attending a preschool program; or
  • The child is in another childcare setting.